Vertigo is a feeling dizziness and such dizziness may happen without any accompanying movement. Your senses tell your brain that your body is off balance and then you feel dizziness. It is generally a symptom of an underlying condition and it can result from different things.
Epley maneuver is also known as Canalith repositioning manoeuvre. It is a strategy that many people use when they experience vertigo. It is an effective method that can help you to get over vertigo problem.
To perform that, you need to follow a simple step-by-step procedure-
- Set upright on a flat surface and take a pillow behind you. Your legs should be outstretched.
- Now turn your head 45° to the right
- While your head is still tilted, you need to quickly recline with your head on the pillow. Maintain this position for 30 seconds.
- Now, slowly turn your head to the left without lifting your neck. This will be a full 90° turn.
- Now engage your whole body and turn it to the left. Now you are completely on your left side.
- Slowly return to the original position and look forward and set straight up.
If you find it difficult to perform the procedure yourself, you can get someone to assist you. Repeat this three times in a row. This remember that, you may feel dizzy during each movement.
Yoga and tai chi
Yoga and tai chi both can help you to get over vertigo by managing your stress. Yoga and tai chi will both reduce stress and will increase flexibility and balance. It is necessary to train your brain to compensate for the cause of your vertigo. These are the exercises which you will be able to do at your home. There are many simple yoga poses like Child's Pose and Corpse Pose that will help you to fight the feelings of dizziness. While performing such movements, be careful because sudden movements may make the symptoms stronger.
If you think that vertigo is resulting from some deficiencies in your diet such as vitamin D, you may be right. If you're not getting enough vitamin D, it can worsen symptom in case of people who suffer from BPPV. BPPV is the most common cause of vertigo. You can take vitamin D supplements, a glass of fortified milk, orange juice, canned Tuna, and eggs yolks to get the necessary vitamin D. It is important to get yourself tested to find out if you have vitamin D deficiency.
Semont-Toupet maneuver is another set of exercises that will help you to get rid of vertigo. These movements are effective and you can do them right at your home. To perform this, you need to follow a simple procedure-
- Sit upright on a flat surface and keep a pillow behind you. Your legs should be outstretched.
- Lie down, turn to your right and look to your left side. Look upward.
- Now, quickly setup and turn to your left side while keeping your head facing to your left. Once this is done you will be looking down toward the ground.
- Slowly return to your original position. Look forward and set straight up