A migraine is a term coined for headaches characterized by throbbing and shooting pain in the head along with a sensation of sensitivity to sound and light and nausea. The pain typically distresses only one part of the head and may cause excessive discomfort to the individual.
Migraine headaches are a neurological condition which is generally recurring in nature and may be triggered due to a varying variety of reasons such as stress, allergies, lack of sleep and strenuous exercising.
A few hacks that can be used by patients suffering from migraine headaches in order to get relief are listed below.
- Over- the- counter medicines- We live in a world that is obsessed with getting quick results. In order to get relief from headaches super-fast, migraine patients develop a habit of popping pills at the first sight of discomfort. Generally, doctors prescribe medicines such as Ibuprofen, Aspirin, and Vasograin tablet to get relief from symptoms associated with migraines.
- Consuming caffeinated products or coffee- Coffee is known to bear analgesic properties and thus helps in getting relief from shooting migraine headaches. The general prescribed time to take coffee is as soon as the patient feels the onset of a headache.
Caffeine is also an active ingredient in most painkillers as it helps the stomach lining to absorb the elements in the painkiller quickly.
- Hot/ Cold Compress- Sometimes, the underlying cause of a migraine headache is strenuous exercise, wrong posture, muscle stress or psychological stress. Hot compress helps in reducing inflammation, relax muscles and enable blood flow. This relieves muscle tension and helps in alleviating symptoms associated with a migraine caused due to this reason.
Cold compress, on the other hand, helps in numbing the point of origination of the pain and discomfort. This helps in dismissing the sensation of pain.
- Inhaling essential oil- Soothing essential oils such as lavender oil and peppermint oil are known to have a calming effect on an individual's senses. It also acts as an effective pain reliever and stress buster and hence can help in reducing migraine headaches.
- Acupressure- it is a technique of applying pressure on various points in the hand and feet in order to get relief from pain and discomfort caused due to multiple reasons. Acupressure is also used to get respite from severe migraine headaches and other related symptoms such as nausea and dizziness.
- Control stress- Prolonged stress is the main reason behind frequent migraine attacks. Management of stress is an essential prerequisite in order to tone done the frequency of migraine headaches. Not only does this help in calming a person's mind, but it also helps in increasing their efficiency.
- Steer clear of blue light radiation- Technological advancements have made way for constant dependency on gadgets such as smartphones, television, laptop, desktop computers etc. Despite the fact that these gadgets make our lives simpler, constant reliance is adversely affecting people's health. Patients suffering from migraine headaches often find their symptoms worsening on being exposed to blue light radiation. It is strictly advised to migraine patients to steer clear of any gadget that emits blue light radiation as they may cause worsening of their condition.
- Meditate- Meditation is a practice aimed at balancing the senses and reducing mental as well as physical strain. Migraine patients are often advised to meditate in order to ease out any mental or emotional trauma that might be a stressor causing the migraine. Not only does it help to reduce the pain during a headache, but it also helps in calming down the mind.
- Breathe- Practicing controlled breathing is a very effective relaxing technique. It helps in alleviating the symptoms associated with migraine headaches and also helps in getting rid of tension and uncanny stress.
- Lie down and get some rest- In order to get relief from pain and nausea associated with migraine headaches, most doctors advise patients to lie down in a dark quiet room. Most migraine patients become sensitive to light and sound during migraine attacks and thus need to stay away from any triggers that might worsen their condition. Lack of proper rest or a good night's sleep may also trigger a migraine headache. Thus, a 7-9 hour sleep schedule must be maintained to avoid the onset of a migraine.
The various hacks that can be followed to avoid or get respite from the pain and discomfort associated with a migraine headache are mentioned above. A migraine can be a tricky condition to control, thus the patients must steer clear of any stressors that may trigger a headache.
This would help in effectively dealing with the migraine condition.