After different holidays many people are facing the unpleasant manifestations caused by constipation. Constipation is usually by consumption of foods rich in protein such as meat, eggs and cheese, and lack of vegetable fibers. Other common causes include lifestyle, stress or certain long term treatments: atropine, narcotics, diuretics, antidepressants, iron supplements.
What Is Constipation?
In medical terms, constipation is defined as slowing of the intestinal transit. People have a feeling of abdominal pressure, abdominal pain, bloating, nausea or vomiting. Usually, patients present appetite disorders, and due to the reabsorption of toxic substances from the intestines many may experience headaches, dizziness, insomnia, physical and mental fatigue.
The main factor that leads to constipation is a poor fiber diet. Due to lack of time or convenience, people consume too many refined or processed foods, with lack of natural fibers (sausages, canned meat, eggs, white bread, cheese, candy, ice cream). Another common mistake is represented by inadequate hydration(water, soups, broths, juices). People who present predisposition to constipation should drink at least two liters of fluids each day.
Keep in mind that juices that contain caffeine, cola drinks and alcohol can worsen the constipation symptoms.
The best way to handle constipation is correcting fluid and fiber intake and increasing physical activity. A diet with enough fiber (20-35 g / day) helps form a normal stool. Large quantities of fibers are found in black bread, bran bread, beans, cereals, raw or dried fruit, vegetables (asparagus, lettuce, cabbage, carrots). When you eat fibers, you have to drink at least 8 glasses of fluid per day, as they absorb water from the stomach and intestines, thus increasing their volume.
Negative effects of constipation on the body
Constipation can lead to some complications such as bleeding and anal fissures. Also, constipation increases the absorption of toxic substances. Stagnated toxins in the colon enter the circulation, fact that explains symptoms such as fatigue, irritability, decreased energy, drowsiness, mouth odor, sweating. If the first symptoms of constipation are ignored more serious health problems can emerge: stomach problems, liver disease, heart, kidney, even obesity.
Mild constipation can be handled only by changing your diet and lifestyle. In chronic constipation, purgative drugs must be administered, laxative teas or glycerin suppositories.
People suffering from constipation must meet these long-term dietary and hygiene conditions
Self reflex-creation of going to the bathroom at fixed intervals (morning, after breakfast, evening, after dinner), avoiding the rush, often the reflex is favored by drinking honey in the morning on an empty stomach.
Physical activity (movement) daily, including gymnastics for the abdominal muscles, should not be excluded from lifestyle of a person suffering from constipation.
- Avoid rice and cheese
- Drink two liters of liquid each day
- Try an eating schedule
- Eat fruits (apples, pears, apricots, oranges, grapes, figs, nuts, depending on season), for example, two apples a day
- Dried fruits (prunes, apricots, figs) keep them in water about 3 hours before consumption
- Eat as many vegetables as possible: lettuce, beets, radishes, green beans, zucchini, peas
- Sweets and compotes are allowed (jam, marmalade, jam, honey)
- Replace oatmeal with oatmeal flakes
- It is recommended that yogurt, buttermilk and kephir to be mixed with honey
- Meat is indicated in small quantities.
- Effective in regulating bowel movements is wheat bran soaked in water, tea, fruit juices, milk or yogurt.
- Bran should be also mixed with honey. Start with 1-2 tablespoons daily, consumed at dinner, and if constipation does not improve after 7-14 days switch to 3 tablespoons a day, after another 1-2 weeks to 4 tablespoons per day. People that do not support bran (sometimes can cause abdominal discomfort and bloating) can substitute with flaxseed.
With a few simple and affordable measures applied to the first symptoms, you can easily get rid of constipation.