Diarrhea is defined as elimination of more than three watery stools per day. If diarrhea consits of just two loose stools a day, and the normal bowel movements are resumed, it does not require any treatment.
Among the main causes of acute diarrheal disease, are:
- Bacterial infections with Staphylococcus, Escherichia coli and Salmonella;
- Viral infections with echovirus;
- Parasitic infections with Giardia and Entamoeba;
- Allergies to foods such as milk and strawberries;
- Poisoning with arsenic or fluoride;
- Different types of drugs: antibiotics, antihypertensive, antacids containing magnesium;
- Irritable bowel syndrome;
- Surgical interventions;
- Changing environment
The first thing you need to do when you experience symptoms of diarrhea is food resting for 24 hours. It is also very important to hydrated and for this reason are given antidiarrheal teas, followed by a careful diet.
Example of diet:
- Grated apples without peel, 300-500g in 3-5 meals a day for 2-3 days;
- Carrot soup with boiled and chrused carrots;
- Boiled rice: decoction or mucilage;
- Both at the carrot soup and at rice can be added, after boiling, 2-3 crushed cloves of garlic (for the antiseptic role).
WARNING! Returning to normal diet will be made gradually, in about 2-3 weeks. Back diet can include cottage cheese, boiled eggs, mashed vegetables (without potatoes), lean meat, fish and chopped grain porridges.
Types of food allowed:
In case of lactose intolerance, whole milk should be avoided and in the case of a child, should be considered the administration of a lactose-free milk powder preparations, specially designed for these situations.
Will be chosen a diet without fat, with increased fiber content and will be avoided the excesses of sweets. Deviations from these principles may worsen the diarrhea.
The following foods are allowed in the diet of children with diarrhea: rice, carrots, boiled potatoes, bananas, boiled chicken. They may have even a slight therapeutic effect.
Prevention of travelers diarrhea:
To avoid such inconvenience when travelling, special attention will be given to foods and to their preparation provess before being consumed. So, remember the basic rule: Vegetables and fruits should be washed before eating!
Also, when you travel, it is imperative to know that:
- Do not drink water from unsafe water sources (even for brushing teeth) or ice from the same type of sources;
- Unpasteurized milk should be avoided;
- Meat and fish should not be consumed raw or incompletely cooked;
- Is not advisable the consumption of foods which are purchased from vendors;
- Consumption of bottled juice or water;
- You should have antidiarrheal drugs and specific antibiotics for such situations.
Among the classic diarrhea remedies include: antibiotics, antispasmodic drugs, corticosteroid therapy and antidiarrheal therapy, but most important this is to consult your doctor, because he is the only person who is able to determine the diagnosis and prescribe an appropriate treatment.