Being diagnosed with mesothelioma creates many physical, emotional, and psychological challenges for patients and their families. Additionally, many deal with the financial burden of the diagnosis and treatment. Mesothelioma, a rare form of aggressive cancer caused by asbestos, often requires patients to travel to see a specialist and receive treatment. In addition to the costs of diagnostic testing and treatments, patients incur expenses for travel, follow-up care, prescriptions, caregivers and much more.
Struggling to pay medical bills should not be a daily concern of those suffering from mesothelioma. Between compensation through legal channels and various types of financial assistance, there are ways to relieve some of your financial burdens.
Types of Compensation
Often, a mesothelioma diagnosis is the result of negligence. An experienced mesothelioma lawyer will assist you or your family member with eligibility, care value, and types of compensation available to you. The most common types are legal claims, asbestos trust funds, and Veterans claims.
- Legal Claims As with most mesothelioma cases, legal claims are based on corporate negligence. An experienced and reputable mesothelioma lawyer can place their client’s mind at ease by handling the majority of the claims, while allowing the patient and their loved ones to focus on their health and well-being. Awarded fund from winning a case can offset treatment costs and other expenses. In most situations, patients receive settlements from companies that would rather not deal with court proceedings.
- Asbestos Trust Funds Also known as Bankruptcy Trust Funds, they are set up by asbestos companies to financially compensate mesothelioma patients and their families. Typically, these companies have filed bankruptcy and are no longer in business, but the trust funds often have billions of dollars in funds available.
- Veterans Claims – Several types of compensation, such as disability benefits and pensions, as well as subsidized treatment through Veteran’s Affairs, are available to those exposed to asbestos while serving in a branch of the U.S. armed forces.
Other Types of Financial Assistance
In addition to legal compensation, there are other avenues to explore for financial assistance or cost breaks.
- Clinical Trials As research continues to find a cure for mesothelioma, there are many opportunities available for participation in clinical trials. These trials not only offer the newest treatment options in mesothelioma care, but they are often free of charge.
- Discounts for Mesothelioma Patients Often, organizations offer travel and lodging discounts to patients receiving cancer treatments, as well as those accompanying them. Organizations such as Corporate Angel Network and Angel Flights offer free airfare to and from treatment for cancer patients. Many hotels near hospitals offer lodging discounts for patients and their families.
- Government Coverage Some patients who meet the age and income requirements may be available for Medicare or Medicaid.
Not matter your financial situation, after receiving a mesothelioma diagnosis, it is important to contact a mesothelioma lawyer immediately to discuss your legal rights and potential compensation. In addition to the restitution for pain and suffering, compensation can be used for:
- Medical expenses
- Travel costs for medical treatments
- Lost wages
- Treatment costs
- Your ability to support dependents
- Funeral expenses
Each victim’s case is different, but a law firm that specializes in asbestos-related cases will easily guide you through the proper channels.