Sandman is not coming to your house as often as you would like, so you sit for hours staring at ceiling? Do not let insomnia take hold on your life and learn how to treat it!
Sleep fulfills several important functions for the mind and body. However, there are people for whom bedtime is very far from a pleasant and refreshing experience, it became a battle against insomnia. Millions of people can not enjoy a good and productive day as the previous night they could not rest. Insomnia can occur at any age but is typically found in adulthood. Normally, with age a person needs less sleep each night.
Insomnia symptoms are easy to recognize.
- Short or shallow sleep, with continuous state of fatigue during the day
- Normal sleep in the early hours of the night, followed by waking up occasionally along the way, prevents you to rest.
- Sleepless periods alternated with periods of sleep time.
- Changes in the day-night alternation rhythm of sleep (eg, you started to sleep during the day)
What are the causes of insomnia?
- Alcohol. Despite what many people think, alcohol does not help you to have a quiet sleep, in fact just the opposite happens. If you drink too much alcohol in the evening, not only you will sleep worse that night, but fatigue can add up to hangover the next day.
- Nightmares. Sleep can be influenced by your fear of bad dreams every night. One cause of repetitive nightmares is lack of magnesium.
- Depression. This and other psychological disorders such as panic attacks or anxiety can cause difficulty in sleeping during the night.
- Personal reasons. For example, you have a baby who sleeps little at night and therefore you or the father, much less. It is normal find it difficult to sleep when you were awakened 2-3 times per night.
- Various diseases. Sometimes people who have asthma, irritable bowel syndrome, impotence, various skin problems, allergies, obsessions, hypertension can suffer from insomnia. These diseases cause the body a number of difficulties which can not relax for a restful sleep.
- Changing sleep time. Sleep disorders be caused by a job which gives you a timescale, but with many changes made over time.
- Nocturnal noises. Whether you live in an area with noise at night, whether you are sleeping with a person who snore can both be causes of insomnia.
- Stimulating substances. Consumed in the afternoon, coffee, tea or cola-based products may induce sleep disturbances.
How many hours of rest does a person need?
For each age group requires a certain number of hours of sleep per night:
- Between 0-12 months: 13-16 hours, 2-4 periods of sleep during the day.
- Between 1-4 years: 11-13 hours, a period of sleep during the day.
- 5-9 years: 10-11 hours without sleep during the day.
- Between 10-16 years: 9-10 hours without sleep during the day.
- Between 17-39 years old: 8-9 hours without sleep during the day.
- 40 years: 6-7 hours without sleep during the day.
What you can do for a peaceful sleep?
Try to establish a daily routine designed to stimulate your sleep and also apply the following methods:
- Make sure the bedroom has a pleasant temperature and minimum light or noise that may disturb you
- Use clothes that are comfortable during sleeping and soft bedding
- Do not try to fall asleep by force, only because it is late. Get up if you do not mange to fall asleep and read a book, watch TV or just relax.
- Avoid naps during the day
- Give up fatty foods, alcohol or beverages containing caffeine
- Take a hot bath before getting into bed and try using relaxing products like foam, salt bath