Varicose Veins are the bulgy and lumpy veins that are experienced by anybody irrespective of gender. These are the enlarged veins present in any part of the body, however they are mostly found in feet and legs. The bulging veins are dark in color having the shades of purple and blue. The pressure exerted on lower body while standing and walking have made this part of the body more susceptible to varicose veins. Another form of varicose veins is known as spider veins. The veins in this condition are smaller and the color may vary from purple to red. Spider veins are mostly visible on face and legs.
Having varicose veins would be painful, discomforting, and even aesthetically unwanted for many. As stated by Human Health and Science Department, about 55% of women and 45% of men over 50 years of age in U.S. suffer from this chronic condition.
What causes Varicose Veins?
There are many reasons causing varicose veins that range from hereditary to occupational issues. The few main causes are listed here.
- Hereditary reasons have been found in many cases. Due to this, varicose veins are found in various generations of same family.
- Occupation can also be culprit sometimes. If your profession demands continuous standing for hours then the entire weight of the body is transferred on legs and feet causing varicose veins or spider veins.
- Hormonal changes may trigger this condition. This is why more women suffer from varicose veins during pregnancy, menopause, or even puberty. Men after the age of 50 would also get this due to hormonal changes.
- Obesity is one of the main reasons. Excess weight means excess pressure.
- More pressure on abdomen due to constipation, water retention, and tumors may also make you suffer from this chronic health condition.
Other reasons may include blood clots due to underlying medical condition, birth control pills, over exposure to UV rays, vein surgery, and skin injury.
If varicose veins run in your family, then you are at high risk. Even if you are suffering from this condition due to any of the above reasons then check for the remedies below.
- Get rid of the excess weight by introducing healthy diet and low impact workout.
- Wear the compression stockings that distribute the load equally through the legs. The enlargement of the veins due to lack of elasticity in blood vessels may cause this condition. Uniform pressure and proper support ensured by the support stockings would compress the veins gradually. These stockings can be found online or at the stores selling surgical supplies.
- Lack of nutrition may make things worse. Start taking B-complex supplements and folic acid.
- Walking may help but standing in same place for hours would affect negatively. If your profession calls for constant standing then use the stockings, make brief movements, and massage the affected area gently for better blood circulation.
Other remedies include surgical and injectable methods. You can check with your doctor if your condition requires any surgical or laser treatment.
Karishma is HR professional who have been writing about health and wellness out of her hobby. She is contributing articles regularly to many known websites due to her inclination towards writing. Her articles about natural health and weight management remedies are also shared with Turmeric Curcumin Shop, the online shop offering pure turmeric curcumin extract.