Kidneys are one of the vital organs in our body. Nature gave us two kidneys so that one can function in the absence of the other, if we lose one due to injury or any other causes. We can live quite well with only one kidney. However, death occurs within a few days with no kidney function.
Some important functions of kidney are as follows:
- Kidneys keep our blood pressure regular.
- Kidneys keep water balance in our body.
- Kidneys filter our blood to remove wastes and toxins.
- Vitamin D activation is done by our kidneys. Vitamin D is vital for our overall health, strong muscles and bones.
Ailments generally affect kidney
Prevention of kidney ailments mainly focuses on dealing with urinary tract and kidney infection and other associated risk factors. The majority of urinary tract infections are caused by the bacteria gaining entry into our urinary system through the urethra.
How to prevent kidney infection
There are several ways we can protect our kidneys. Some of these following preventive measures can be applied by all of us:
- Women must urinate for emptying the bladder mainly after sexual intercourse or they should wipe the vaginal area. Cleanliness can help stop kidney infection in women to a great extent.
- One must drink plenty of water to prevent urinary tract infection.
- If a person uses urinary catheters for a long period, it should be cleaned at regular intervals. Cleaning around the catheter’s entry into the urethra is very important in preventing urinary tract infections.
- Cranberry juice is beneficial in preventing kidney infections. Frequent drinking of cranberry juice will do a whole lot of good to your health and kidney problems.
If you are treated at your home for your kidney infections, your doctor will prescribe you some antibiotics with a course of 7 to 14 days.
To treat kidney infections, on most occasions, antibiotics like ciprofloxacin or Co-amoxiclav are recommended. However, other antibiotics may also be used. A woman must not take Co-amoxiclav without a doctor's advice because Co-amoxiclav can make the contraceptive pill less effective. There are other types of contraceptive pills available. But take the advice of your doctor first. Generally, a 14-day course of cefalexin is recommended for pregnant women.
You will feel better within 24 hours after taking the medicine and if you can't feel any difference, it's better to consult your doctor. However, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) are not usually recommended to relieve pain during a kidney infection.
If you want to help yourselves at the initial stage of kidney infection, drink plenty of fluid that will prevent dehydration and help flush out bacteria from your kidneys. You also need to take plenty of rest to recover. It may take up to two weeks before you are fit enough to lead a normal life.
Treatment at hospital
Last but not the least, if you don't feel good after being treated at your home for your kidney infections and the complications continue; it's better to be treated at hospital.
The following conditions can be considered as indicators that you now need treatment at hospital: Severe dehydration, unable to keep down any fluids or medications, rapid heartbeat and losing consciousness, high temperature, poor general health, symptoms not improved within 24 hours of starting treatment, diabetes, polycystic kidney disease or chronic kidney disease, etc.