A lot of people these days are obese. The Stats reveal an alarming number of about one third adults being prone to obesity and are totally unaware of the problem. The studies have revealed that obesity actually raises the risk of heart diseases, cancer and diabetes. A latest U.K study published an article in the Lancet which scrutinized the problem really well.
Research scholars researching at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and the Farr Institute of Health Informatics studied the health records of people close to 6 million between 1986 and 2013 to observe the effect of obesity on cancer. It was concluded that 166, 955 people developed cancer who were obese and their BMI was related to 17 out of 22 cancers.
Every rise of 5kg/m2 in BMI, a 62% rise was found in the cancer of uterus, 25% rise in kidney, 10% rise in cervix and thyroid and 31% increase in gallbladder.
The risk of acquiring premenopausal breast cancer and prostate cancer was somewhat lower since the BMI was found to be more in the study volunteers. But there is something that is of a larger concern in developing the abnormal cells than a huge waistline. The good news is that keeping your eating habits clean and regular exercise is most likely to lower your risk of contracting cancer of the 10 most common types.
So, all you need to do is follow these 5 simple tips to proof yourself against cancer:-
- 1. Maintain a healthy weight- You are young and almost fit but still wonder as to why you need to be cautious of the C word. It is very common to hear that cancer strikes when you much older, but this is the age where you can work on your health and maintain a good defense system against cancer. You should maintain a healthy weight, give your body a good fitness level through exercise and leave smoking if you smoke.
- 2. Use Sunscreen- Every time, you go out in the sun, especially in summers, wear a good sunscreen of a SPF of min 20. The sun's rays are more intense in summers, during cloudy days, near water surfaces and on the beach. The rays are oblique between 10 a.m to 4 p.m and therefore you need to be on a high alert for your skin. Try to use an umbrella or full sleeves shirts and trousers. Wear your shades to protect your eyes.
- 3. Keep a strong check on weight scales- Hitting the gym is okay, but keep your weight under regular check. Make sure you do not have your BMI more than 25 otherwise you are prone to several cancers like those related to kidney, colon, liver and pancreas. Regular exercise tends to play a good role in improving the insulin, glucose metabolism and increase the immunity of the body.
- 4. Try the Vegan diet- The fruits and vegetables are a rich source of antioxidants that tend to prevent cancer. Though the research is partially covered yet the researchers strongly recommend a diet of fruits and vegetables containing nutrients like beta carotene which can be had in the form of carrots, apricots, spinach, sweet potatoes and green peppers, lycopene which can be had in the form of tomatoes, Vitamin C in the form of citrus fruits like lemon, orange and amla and Vitamin in the form of green vegetables. Try to have these in almost every meal and try to have natural fruit juice as well.
- 5. Avoid the red meat- Red meat tends to contain saturated fats which increase the risk to cancer. Therefore try to have fish, poultry and beans instead.