Who doesn’t want to enjoy ageless beauty; there are times when we wish we could stop biological clock and do away with aging. But, science has not yet found a way to keep us young forever. However there are ways you can reduce the effects of aging. One of them is eating healthy foods that have anti-aging properties. In this article we will tell you about the top 7 ant-aging foods that negate the ill-effects of aging, improve your overall health and shield you from age- related diseases.
1. Berries: All kinds of berries – blueberries, raspberries, etc. are power houses of antioxidants like flavonols and anthocyanins, known to be great for the cell health and for fighting diseases like cancer and diabetes. Berries are also rich in vitamins, especially vitamin C which is great for the health of the skin. Darker berries like blackberries and blueberries are said to have antioxidants in the highest concentration and hence, they can provide the best anti-aging benefits.
2. Leafy Greens: Leafy green vegetables like spinach, kale, turnip greens, romaine lettuce, broccoli, collard greens, etc., are great sources of anti-oxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin which can greatly reduce the chances of diseases like age-related macular degeneration and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. They are also a great source of anti-oxidants like vitamin C, beta carotene, and sulforaphane, known to fight cancer. Leafy greens like collard and spinach are also rich in vitamin K1 which is vital for maintaining strong bones, preventing diseases like Alzheimer, heart problems, etc., and also in the regulation of insulin and blood sugar levels.
3. Dark Chocolate: Cocoa from which dark chocolate is made is rich in flavonols which helps in maintaining the healthy function of blood vessels which in turn reduces the risk of dementia, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and kidney diseases. It is also great for the skin and can help it look visibly younger.
4. Nuts: Nuts are not only a good source of protein, but also a great source of unsaturated fats, omega-3 fatty acids, known to be great for the heart. They contain vitamin E which helps in preventing cell damage and are also rich in vitamins and minerals like potassium and calcium.
5. Red Wine: Red wine is rich in anti-oxidants and nutrients that protects the arteries and blood vessel lining and hence prevents heart diseases. An antioxidant named resveratrol found in red wine is particularly good for preventing blood clots, lowering bad cholesterol, decreasing inflammation and reducing the risk of cancer.
6. Garlic: The anti-oxidant found in garlic – allicin, also the cause the strong smell it has is a very strong antioxidant. Garlic also has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. It boosts the immune system, reduces the risk of spread of cancer cells, lowers cholesterol, blood pressure and reduces inflammation and maintains cell health.
7. Olive Oil: Olive oil not only contains monounsaturated fats that are good for the heart but also powerful antioxidants like polyphenols that prevents age-related diseases.
8. Whole Grains: Having whole grains that are rich in fiber, such as wheat, barely, quinoa and brown rice lowers your risk of developing type-2 diabetes because these foods have a low glycemic index compared to refined carbohydrates such as white flour and white rice. Whole grains also enhance the health of your blood vessels. Aim for three servings of whole grains each day.
By including these superfoods in your diet along with regular exercise and a healthy lifestyle, you will get a head start in reducing the ill-effects of aging.