Not everyone like the idea of losing hair, especially when you don't like to see your hair thinning or eventually getting bald. Our body naturally experiences hair loss every day, thus it is natural to lose about 100 hair strands daily. Aging can also cause hair loss naturally and men at the age of 30 will likely be losing hair faster than in their 20's. The scalp will begin to show through on top of the head and for some getting bald is attractive while others dread the idea.
What causes hair loss?
Your age contributes significantly to the incidence of your hair loss, but it is only one of the major causes of losing hair naturally. There are many other factors that can be attributed to hair loss and they can be preventable. Getting mindful in observing the rate of your hair loss can give you a quick rundown on the possible causes why this happens.
- Disease. A sudden hair loss may be caused by an underlying disease such as autoimmune disorders like Addison's disease and alopecia. Skin condition like vitiligo and thyroid diseases can also cause hair loss.
- Genetic predisposition. Men are more likely prone to hair loss due to genetic causes. The enzyme 5 alpha-reductase in men can convert testosterone into dihydrotestosterone which can shrink the hair follicles. This enzyme is predominant genetically which explains while it is common to baldness as common within the male family members.
- Foods may cause hair loss. One of the causes of hair loss is dietary deficiency which is common among vegetarians who rarely or never eat foods rich in iron like red meat. It is possible that you may have iron deficiency anemia, which can cause significant hair loss. You can optimize your dietary nutrients by eating foods rich in omega 3 fatty acids, biotin and vitamin B12 in order to help strengthen your hair and prevent baldness. Green tea can also potentially help prevent hair loss, although the reason for this remains unclear.
- Drugs and medications. Taking medications with harsh ingredients such as those taken adjunct to chemotherapy can result in significant hair loss. Other drugs can result in similar side effects such as steroids, oral contraceptives, high blood pressure medications and pills for hormonal replacement therapy. If you think that your medication might be contributing to your hair loss, it is best to communicate your concern to your doctor who can prescribe an alternative drug for you.
- Hair products. Hair products, contrary to the common belief, do not cause hair fall per se. However, hair products containing very strong or harsh chemicals can make the hair fragile to breakage. Thus, hair products with harsh chemicals can only break the integrity of the hair but are not the major causes of hair loss.
- Lifestyle. Your lifestyle can also cause you to lose hair because of stress and hormonal changes. Improper eating habits, lack of sleep and a stressful activity can cause havoc to your hormones that can result in hair loss,
How to stop your hair loss
Hair loss is highly preventable. There are ways in which a person can reduce their risk of losing hair too much. Some remedies may require the need of using products that can help reduce hair loss while others come as a natural solution on how to stop your hair loss.
Minoxidil is an effective hair loss solution for both men and women. It comes in 2% topical medication for women and as a 5% topical product for men. The pattern of hair loss in men is stronger than women, thus a higher level of minoxidil is required to prevent hair loss. It is also available in foam and liquid forms. The effect of the chemical involves the prolongation of the growth pattern of the hair with full density. However, minoxidil is not a quick solution in preventing hair loss. The effect is usually apparent after three to four months after twice a day of daily use. You can buy the medication without a prescription however, be aware of the potential side effect of scalp irritation which is reported by many of its users. It is also common to experience flaking, redness and itching while using the product.
A pill containing Finasteride can help counteract the effects of the enzyme 5 alpha-reductase in converting testosterone into dihydrotestosterone. It is widely used by men who are balding due to genetic causes. Finasteride blocks the enzyme that is responsible for balding in men and it is proven to be 90% effective in helping men grow back their hair. You can use it with minoxidil for best results, but it is important to consult your doctor for possible adverse effects to your health when you have an existing medical condition. One downside of using Finasteride is that the moment you stop using it, hair loss may take place once again.
3. Massage your scalp
A scalp massage is helpful in improving the circulation in the head and is effective in keeping the hair follicles active. Use a drop of lavender or almond oil in order to optimize the results and massage the scalp for at least 10 minutes to keep the circulation healthy.
4. Power up your antioxidant level in the hair
You can help induce hair growth effectively with the help of antioxidant. You can wash your hair and the scalp with a warm green tea, leaving it on for an hour before rinsing. The antioxidant in green tea will boost hair growth and will essentially stop hair loss.
Need to stop your hair loss? Learn the best way of doing it. Click Here!